Fairtrade Party


Just had a Fairtrade party at my house tonight. Feels a bit different from sitting around buying plastic bowls that’s for sure. A young guy called Jesse of Little Tree Shop ran the night. He has sourced both certified Fairtrade clothes & goods as well as ‘fairly traded’ products from charity organisations. He ran a DVD for us to watch and I was shocked back into motivation. A feeling of ‘this is why it’s important’ swept over me. Watching women in India who had been sex workers from teenagers who were given training and working, earning fair wages to support themselves and their loved ones. The interviews with these women send a spear into my weak conscience. All I have to do is buy their products (which by the way were well made and beautiful) and I can make an actual, tangible difference. I’d like to plug this idea and recommend having a ‘party’ because this young guy has taken it upon himself to do something about Fairtrade and coordinated an amazing enterprise where people can get a glimpse at Fairtrade and have a chance to buy goods from handbags to chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment