Taking the Oath


I feel strongly about Fair Trade. Thinking about underprivileged people getting underpaid and overworked grates on my moral fiber. I volunteered to undertake the Pledge to only buy Fair Trade clothing and/ or wear recycled clothing and/or made under ethical circumstances. 
However, I would be lying if I didn’t admit to a twinge of loss. I do love to shop and troll the cheap strips with 2 for $10 racks. I was the one who would head down to Bridge Road early on my first day of holidays and go to Boxing Day sales in the pouring rain. So to pledge that I would only buy ethically was a genuine and calculated oath with actual feelings of sacrifice. 
I realize that this sound largely perverse that I am talking about a feeling of loss when we are talking about real people, real suffering and real loss. But if I am to enter this dialogue it has to be real. So here goes the beginning of my journey. To fair trade and beyond.  

xKeshena

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty, I love the way you write :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what refreshing honesty, i know i'm going to enjoy reading this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Isis, yes honesty is as painful as it is necessary. I feel like there are so many of us on this journey; we're just finding each other.

    ReplyDelete