Guilt trip


“I got some new boots…. they told me they were made ‘ethically.’”
“Great,” I say, wondering to myself how I became the confessional priest of all things fairtrade.
It’s a funny thing when you get into the whole fairtrade thing. It seems to conjure up guilt and the need to justify everything even by the most stoic of souls.
The other day I was wandering past the clearance racks and my first thought was ‘I hope that no one sees me.’ This is a new experience for me as I normally relish end of financial year sales. 
I’m finding it a fine line between wanting to tell people about the value and importance of fairtrade in a burst of enthusiasm; or alternatively worried to tell people the value and importance of fairtrade in fear that they will type-cast me as the moral compass of all things ethical and distance me out of guilt.
Going fairtrade is actually a real journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment