Where do we draw the line between buying locally and buying Fairtrade?


Do we decide to buy Australian and support Australian manufacturers not knowing where their fabrics have been sourced and under what conditions?
Or do we abandon our countrymen in pursuit of all that is Fairtrade?
I struggle with this because I want to support Australian companies and Australian workers. I value humans and their need for fair treatment wherever they live. Be that the third world or the first.
However, my need to make my money make a difference to those who need it the most (those suffering in the third world) has a greater pull.
Is there a way combine these?
I’ve come across a company that does both. Definitely worthy of an internet troll – the clothes aren’t bad either.
The company is Daksha an Australian cottage industry whose “focus has always been on providing funky clothing made from completely natural, fair trade and sustainable fibres for all of Australia."
This is the model I find the most exciting because it is working for everyone. It satisfies my desire to support local industry and workers while still allowing us to do fair-trading.

x Keshena


2 comments:

  1. good solution to a hard question. i started relying on buying australian made in my attempt avoid sweatshop made. however i found out that there are many sweat shops in australia!
    australian made also got a tick from me when thinking about the environmental factor of shipping clothing across the globe.
    then i realised it was a choice between people or environment - i wish i did have to choose!
    Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess our focus is more on the people but ultimately there wont be people without an environment so the dilemma is noted :)

    ReplyDelete