I'm no saint


Ok it’s offical. I’m struggling to do this whole fairtrade clothing pledge. I fancied myself above all the consumerism and soft lighting of shopping malls. But after several weeks on this journey I am itching to swipe my Visa for all the wrong reasons. I’ve made several confronting realizations.
 1. I love to shop for pure indulgent retail therapy (and no supermarket shopping does not fill this void)
2. Shopping at an Op Shop is not the same (sorry to all you die-hard op-ers)
3. On-line shopping is a complete gamble when buying clothes as the sizing seems strangely subjective
4. I want to wear normal, comfortable clothing and have not changed my mind about wearing crazy rainbow heshan sacks  (I pledged to go fairtrade not fashion free)
 5. Breaking the habit of shopping is a genuine struggle that we should not underestimate (it feels like giving up caffeine when you’re used to drinking 5 Turkish coffees a day, I know I’ve done that too).
In summary, I am not enjoying this process at the moment. Yes, it is hard. Well I said I’d be honest. I am stoic though and holding on to the slogan that people tree (www.peopletree.co.uk) use “fashion can be a tool for Change.” I just didn’t expect that change to include me!